Monday 22 March 2010

What has Sport Relief got to do with Leadership?

Watching the Sport Relief events on Friday, I was really impressed by some of the big celebrity challenges such as Eddie Izzard’s marathons and the Million Pound Bike Ride. As a ‘sporty’ family we empathised with the effort and sacrifices involved.


On reflection, I wondered how many other 'ordinary' people sitting on their sofas were inspired enough to go out and take up such a challenge. We seem to be content to sit and watch others on TV doing something, but don’t then do it ourselves.


So how does this link to leadership?


It has led me to think about our role as leaders. Is it to be a good role model and set an example? Or, is it to create an environment in which your people feel compelled to take action and personally take on a challenge? The answer might well be a bit of both. But I also wonder whether we always get the balance right?


I would welcome your thoughts.



No comments:

Post a Comment