Friday 27 August 2010

The 'trail' to expert mountain biker

It's Sunday and I have just got back from spending a day trying out a new mountain bike trail at Cannock Chase.  I have done the route a number of times, but it has recently been extended and given a great rating by MBR magazine.  I am relatively new to mountain biking and can call myself a MAMIL - a middle aged man in lycra!

I ride mainly in the Cotswolds where I live, but I love the technical challenge and exhilaration, of a trail centre single-track, going fast through the trees, over drops and round the berms!  Great fun, but a little scary too, if I am honest.

So I sit here now, aching a little after 15 miles of concentrating hard on the single-track, reflecting on how I rode today.  I started nervously; heavy rain had made it muddy, my back wheel would not grip and my technique was really rusty.  I hit a couple of trees and had to put my feet down a couple of times as I misjudged corners and hazards.  I only had myself to blame, as I hadn't warmed up, I had got straight out of the car and hit the trail!

My technique and riding did improve, as I warmed up and my fitness kept me going.  But I  kept falling off going UP HILL round tight bends!  I seemed to be doing it quite regularly.  I realise that this is because I don't actually know how to do them and when I do get round I am sure I don't look as 'pretty' as the professionals.

So the answer, I need to PRACTICE!

A couple of weeks ago in my blog I said that it was not talent but practice that made you an expert.  Well, I need to practice, but it needs to be 'deliberate and purposeful' practice.  So I need some lessons, observe an expert and really read the tips in the many magazines that I have scattered around the house.  Then get out there and keep practicing!

If you want to be the best that you can be, you have to put the hours in (remember that magic 10,000 hours?)  Consider some lessons, some coaching, or just some time thinking about what you have done and reading deeper into the subject to enhance understanding.

I would really like to hear about what skills you are practicing at the moment.  


No comments:

Post a Comment